MarriageCongratulations on your decision to get married. It’s an exciting time with lots of wedding planning ahead!

While you need only to give four months notice of your intention to marry, it is common practice for a couple to book the church a long time in advance. So it is important to contact the Parish Office to make sure that the church is available on the day you require. You will also need to look at participating in a marriage preparation course which is a lovely way for you as a couple to take a look at your own relationship. The Civil Authorities also have state requirements which must be fulfilled.

1.1.1 The following information may be helpful

• Please ensure that the Church in which you wish to get married is available on the date you require. Marriages can be booked in Castlebar parish through the Parish Office.  The earliest time you can have your wedding in the Church of the Holy Rosary is 1pm.

• Go to the priest of the parish where you are currently living.    The priest will  begin the process of filling out Pre-Nuptial Enquiry Forms and advise you about the various documents that you need. You will need to get a Certificate of Baptism from the parish in which you were baptised and a Certificate of Confirmation from the parish in which you were confirmed. The Certificate of Baptism should be issued no less than six months prior to the date of marriage.

• If you have lived somewhere else, other than your present parish, Letters of Freedom may be required as proof you are free to get married. Any priest from the parish (or parishes) where you lived will supply you with this document. Alternatively, a priest may request that you make a Statutory Declaration that you are free to enter into Marriage.

• Freedom to marry: The rules governing freedom to marry in the Catholic church can be complicated. The best advice when one party has been married previously (either in a civil or religious ceremony) is not to make arrangements until the diocesan office has been consulted.

• Mixed Marriages: Special permissions are required for full church recognition of marriages between a Roman Catholic and a baptised non-RC or someone unbaptised. Applications are handled by the diocesan office once the priest of the catholic party has forwarded the standard paperwork.

• It is recommended that all couples who are getting married should attend a Pre-Marriage Course . It is better to attend the Course well before the date of the Marriage. If you require further information about Pre-Marriage Courses in the Castlebar area, please click here.

• Normally a priest from the bride’s parish officiates at the marriage ceremony, assuming that the ceremony takes place in the bride’s parish. If you wish to have some other priest (e.g. a relative or friend) officiate, inform the priest in the parish where the ceremony is to take place and he will give the necessary authorisation. In Civil Law, it is now a legal requirement for the solemniser (the priest who officiates at the marriage) to be on the ‘List of Solemnisers’ submitted by each local Bishop to the Registrar-General.

• Celebrants From Overseas: All diocesan priests in the Republic of Ireland are on the State’s ‘List of Solemnisers’. In order for a priest from overseas to be placed on this list in a temporary capacity, it is necessary for him to send his name, address and telephone number to the Diocesan Office. The Diocesan Office in Tuam will then contact the officiating priest to formalise matters with him.

• Ask the priest who is to officiate at your wedding to help you with preparing your marriage ceremony. There are a variety of prayers, blessings, readings, etc. Read through these together and choose the ones you prefer. Choose the person(s) who will read at Mass, person(s) to read the Prayers of the Faithful and the people to bring up the gifts at the Offertory. Rehearse the ceremony in church with the priest before the wedding day.

• To celebrate the sacrament of Marriage does not require the celebration of Eucharist (Mass). While it has been generally the custom, it may not always be appropriate for example in a “mixed” marriage or when a couple are not regularly practising. Some couples today find the celebration of Marriage without the Eucharist, to be more appropriate for them.

• Marriages on Sundays, Holydays and some special Church celebrations (Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, St.Patrick’s Day, Holy Thursday, Good Friday, Holy Saturday, Feast of All Souls) are not permitted in this diocese.

If you have any further queries regarding your Church Ceremony, please contact the Parish Office. You may also find the following links helpful and

Pre-marriage coursesMarriage

All couples intending to marry are expected to participate in a marriage preparation course. The courses are prepared and presented by married couples and are a lovely way for you as a couple to take a look at your own relationship. This is time for yourselves, and time that will be really well spent.

For further information about Accord Pre-Marriage Courses in the Castlebar area, please ring Accord at 094 9022214, or book online on the Accord website.

The only other Pre-Marriage courses recommended are:

• Together – Dublin 01 2964257 or

• Redemptorist Pre-Marriage Courses, Esker, Athenry, Co. Galway 091 844007 or


State Requirements for Marriage

The Office of the Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages for Castlebar area is located at St. Mary’s HQ, Mayo General Hospital Campus, Castlebar, Tel. 094 9023249

Requirements for Civil Registration

When the couple have chosen the date, church and priest for their marriage (and confirmed these matters with the relevant priest or priests), they will then need to make an appointment to meet with any civil registrar in person to give notice of their intention to marry. This meeting with the registrar must take place at least three months before the wedding in order to comply with the civil requirement. The couple will be required to bring the following documentation to the registrar’s office:

• photo identity (preferably a passport or driving licence)

• names and dates of birth of witnesses

• name of the church where they wish to be married

• name of the priest who will officiate at the marriage; this presumes that the celebrant is a registered solemniser and that he has agreed to officiate at the marriage.

• if either party has been previously married, they must provide the civil registrar with an original divorce decree or a death certificate if widowed.

When all the civil requirements have been completed satisfactorily the couple will receive, from the registrar, a Marriage Registration Form (MRF). Without this form the couple cannot get married nor may the solemniser proceed with the marriage ceremony.

Both the solemniser and the parish priest of the place of marriage will receive notification from the civil registrar’s office concerning the marriage due to take place.

The couple must present the MRF to the solemniser before the wedding so that he can check that the details are correct before marriage takes place. This should be done as early as is convenient.

If changes are necessary – for instance, changing the name of the solemniser – the couple should contact the civil registrar to arrange for the re-issue of the MRF at the earliest possible stage before the ceremony.

After the wedding, the solemniser must ensure that the MRF is signed by the couple, the two witnesses and himself.

After the marriage has been celebrated, it is the responsibility of the couple (not the local priest or solemniser) to return the MRF to any Registrar’s Office. This form must be returned within one month of the marriage.

While all of the above business can be done with any civil registrar, it may be useful for you to know that the address and telephone number of the Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages for the Castlebar District is listed above.

Legislation requires that the solemniser (the priest who officiates at the marriage) must ask the couple to make a verbal declaration of no civil impediment. It is recommended practice that this declaration be made at the beginning of the wedding, when the bride and groom arrive at the sanctuary.

In order to summarise the above legal requirements for valid civil registration of marriage, please study the following check-list of what the couple must do:

• meet one of the local parish clergy

• book the church where you wish to marry

• meet a civil registrar at least three months before the wedding to give notice of your intention to marry

• receive the Marriage Registration Form (MRF) from the civil registrar

• make the verbal declaration of no civil impediment in the presence of each other and before the solemniser and the two witnesses at the beginning of the wedding ceremony (or not more than two days beforehand)

• return the signed MRF to any civil registrar not later than one month after the wedding

If you have any further queries regarding your Church Ceremony, please contact the Parish Office.